Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bordering The Buzz at the Stationery Show

For more than 20 years, I have considered myself one lucky guy to have watched the steady hands, calm demeanor, attention to detail and complete dedication to quality that Crane's artisans bring to every piece of stationery they touch. I've seen craftsmanship honed over generations, many times handed down from father to son and from mother to daughter.

But it's an experience you can only get in Dalton. Until the National Stationery Show earlier this week. Crane brought two hand-borderers to the city to demonstrate their unique brand of traditional New England craftsmanship at the Jacob Javits Center.

It was jaw-dropping. Hundreds of visitors to the Crane booth every day stood transfixed as Sally Rice and Deb Larkin plied their craft. Their normally quiet and highly focused art was suddenly the talk of the town. They expertly bordered more than 5,000 cards and notes while being peppered with questions, flashes popping and  gasps of incredulity flying around the booth.

"I had no idea."

"Are you kidding me?"

"Unbelievable"

"I can't believe what I'm seeing."

If you haven't seen a video of hand-bordering at Crane, you can now and you can believe what you see. I think you'll understand why I'm still completely dazzled after 22 years. I recommend switching to full-screen mode.


1 comment:

www.signwithprestige.com said...

Fantastic!! These ladies are so talented and it is such attention to detail coupled with experience and skill that keeps Crane stationery a cut above the rest. I'm thrilled to be one of your retailers.
Sign With Prestige
Fort Collins, CO