Sunday, April 5, 2009

Food to Fortify the Busy Blogger

By The Insider's Food Blogger: Paper Cake Scissors

I Food

There is nary a moment when I’m not thinking about my last meal, my next meal, or a recent snack. For me, this is a completely normal way to live.

My grandmother was descended from the hardy stock of Pennyslvania Dutch, passing along a long tradition of making and pressing food onto people whether they were hungry or not. At my parent’s house, it is entirely natural to discuss dinner for the night over breakfast that morning…or even the morning before. It took a little time for my husband to adjust to this vigorous schedule of food. To him, it bordered on disgusting and gluttonous to be talking about the next meal while still eating the current one.


Luckily, I have a job that encourages and even celebrates my obsessive interest in food. Now it’s work to be reading Gourmet as I drift off to sleep, visions of peanut butter cookies dancing in my head. Now it’s an asset to agonize over every detail of a four-course meal and pair with the perfect wines.

I have finally found my calling; one I'm happy to share with you.


Peanut Butter Cookies

4 oz. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. brown sugar (I prefer dark brown)
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract (only use the real stuff, please!)
1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. peanuts, coarsely chopped and/or bittersweet chocolate chips

Cream the butter and sugars. Add peanut butter and incorporate into creamed mixture.

Add egg and vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients, taking care not to overmix. Add peanuts or chocolate chips.

Scoop with a tablespoon, and leave some space between each to bake.

Bake at 350 for 14 – 16 minutes, rotating the sheets at 7 minutes. They burn quickly on the bottoms, so keep an eye on them!

Paper Cake Scissors lives at the top of a hill in Vermont with her husband and cat. From acquainting herself with the lentil at the age of three, she has developed into a consummate foodie. After all, cake is her middle name. She has recently discovered the wide world of wine and spirits and is studiously drinking her way from Albariño to Whiskey. Check out her blog and join her on her tasting journeys somewhere around Burgundy.

No comments: